Master's Diploma Has Arrived!

June 14, 2018

I just got the great news that my Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering has finally arrived! This is a huge accomplishment for me as it has taken me 3 years of hard work while working a full-time job at the same time.

As a reflection on this, I feel as though a lot has changed in the last 3 years. I have achieved much greater confidence in my technical abilities and I feel as though my new knowledge will keep me competitive for many years to come. Previously, I would always feel intimidated or incompetent in front of co-workers who had already been working in the industry for many years and also have higher education degrees. However, it is not logical for me to compare myself to these people. Some of them would even "test" or "challenge" me to demonstrate my knowledge even in group meetings in front of everyone else! Why would they resort to such demeaning and passive aggressive behavior... In any case, I find that the way I carry myself around work is different now. I no longer keep quiet or fear getting asked questions I do not know the answer to. I also need to keep in mind to not develop the kind of superior behavior I had seen in others as well. This is a huge accomplishment and I am so proud that I was able to make it through this journey successfully!

I think that this Master's degree will also make me a lot more marketable to future employers. As what was clearly seen from my last post, my work has been somewhat stressful and unfulfilling these last few months. If I do choose to look and start applying to other companies(which I have started doing just to test the waters), I think my resume has a big boost now that my graduate studies are complete.

A small change in my attitude has been made during this week. I have been actively trying to change my perspective of the situation. I want to use this difficult project as a challenge to see if I can succeed. That doesn't mean I have to force myself to suffer through the job if I am absolutely miserable, but I don't think I have reached my breaking point yet. I also have comfort in the fact that I am financially prepared for any circumstance which happens(whether I voluntarily leave or get cut due to lack of enthusiasm and poor performance). Hopefully, it is not the later. I want the decision to leave or stay to me my decision and mine alone. I want to have the power to decide when enough is enough and when I am ready to go. Looking around online it doesn't seem like many positions are available at least within the Dallas area. More jobs are available at Lockheed Martin which is about 30 minutes away in Grand Prairie. Since Trang and I are starting to look for apartments to live in together, I am still wondering if it would be smarter to acquire a new job before getting a new lease. That way we are more flexible on living locations.

That decision can be taken on slowly as right now I feel a little better this week towards my work. I just need to relax and try my best and accept that if this is not good enough for others, then it is my time to search elsewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appreciating Memories and Letting Go

End of 2022 Reflections

Beginning of the Blog